Indent in lower calf muscle, swollen ankles, muscle twitch, sprain

I noticed an indent in my lower outer calf muscle tonight. I first thought it was just an impression from lying on the couch a funny way but three hours later I realize that it's just a large indent in my calf. what could this be from? My ankle is a bit swollen too but thought this was just because I got a sunburn on my feet when vacationing in puerto rico for past four days? This is making me very nervous
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 48 minutes later

Thanks for your query,

The indentation in the calf you have is probably due to muscle twitch (A muscle twitch, is a small, local, involuntary muscle contraction and relaxation visible under the skin arising from the spontaneous discharge of a bundle of skeletal muscle fibers ).In some cases the twitch may take hours to relax or even need massage to release the same.Most of times it presents with pain in the muscle involved after recovering from a long twitch.

The twitch could be triggered through a weak nerve either by a sprain or by a inflammation as in you the ankle swelling due to the the sunburn.

There is no treatment needed for such problems if presented occasionally ( Multivitamin supplements may help ), but if they are frequent ( daily ) then you may have to consult a Neurologist to get examined and rule out Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis ( a neurological disease ) which could be the common cause needing treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.
Follow-up: Indent in lower calf muscle, swollen ankles, muscle twitch, sprain 2 hours later
i just woke up with terrible XXXXXXX horse in my leg and it's like in a spasm and very painful. i have been trying to walk it off but it's not working? what can i do so i can go back to bed!
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later
Hi again,

Thanks for following me up,

Try applying counterirritants like Capsciasin or methyl salysilate , it will help in faster recovery.

Well known brand names of the above would be Capsazin-P® and Zostrix®.apply with smooth massage.

Wish you speedy recovery.