Started having muscle twitching in forearm. Any solution?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I am a 35 year old female. Yesterday I started having a consistent muscle twitch in my left forearm. I woke up with the twitch still present but coming and going more than a consistent twitch. I am panicked
Posted Sat, 2 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later
Hi and Welcome to XXXXXXX

Sounds like a muscle spasm and muscle spasms result from inflammation that occurs when a muscle is overstretched or torn. It begins as a muscle strain, which doesn't sound like a serious injury, but it could cause severe pain.

To get relief from the pain and for quick healing:
1. Do hot fomatation at the site.
2. Apply local anti-inflammatory gel 2-3 times a day.
3. Take anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen to reduce pain and local swelling or inflammation.
4. Do not lift weight or try to do exercise that involve painful muscles. Give proper time for the injury to heal.

Good thing is it usually heals on its own in a couple of days / weeks because of good blood flow to bring nutrients to the area that needs to be healed. Using ergonomic supports when sitting at a computer and maintaining proper posture along with a stretching routine would help to prevent future injuries.

I hope this is helpful to you.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Follow-up: Started having muscle twitching in forearm. Any solution? 6 minutes later
So you don't feel I should worry about something like Als?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 31 minutes later
Thanks for posting your queryagain.

I don't feel that you should worry about something like Als.

ALS is present with more generalised symptoms like muscle weakness in one or more of the following: hands, arms, legs, tripping, dropping things, slurred speech, swallowing or breathing, uncontrollable periods of laughing or crying, weakness of voluntary muscles of throat and mouth.

Hope this information helps you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wishing you speedy recovery...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.