What is causing involuntary muscle contractions in forearms and upper back?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I am having involuntary muscle contractions in my forearms and my R upper back that wraps around to my chest/breast
Posted Fri, 29 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Muscle fasciculation or muscle twitch Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. The muscle contractions you feel is muscle fasciculation or muscle twitch. It is often regarded as body's responce to fatigue. Usually they are benign and resolve on their own, but persistent flutter may need following investigations; 1) electromyography (EMG) 2) nerve conduction velocity (NCV) 3) blood electrolytes like calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium, etc 4) thyroid and parathyroid function tests 5) blood chemistry and complete metabolic profile The common causes can be; 1) Idiopathic; no cause is ascertained and majority falls in this group. 2) Increased caffeine intake 3) Increased alcohol intake 4) Medications 5) Deficiency in diet and nutrients / minerals 6) Some neurological diseases; uncommon Hope this helps you. I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information. Take care. Regards