Increased heartbeat and tiredness after climbing stairs, nausea. Chances of lung or cardiac diseases?

Cardiologist, Interventional
Hi Doctor,

After climbing 2 floors by stairs, I feel very tired for next 20-25 minutes. My heartbeats increases suddenly. Also, I start to breathe very fast with some omitting feelings. Please suggest. It is something related to heart or lungs. I have experiencing these symptoms from last 1-2 months.

My weight is 67 KG with height is 5.7
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Raja Sekhar Varma 15 hours later
Thank you for posting your query.
While a low haemoglobin can explain your symptoms, in terms of fatigue and breathlessness. The cause can be determined after a complete blood count with peripheral smear is done. If this investigation has already been done for you, I would request you to upload the reports on the “ Upload your reports” section on the right.
Common causes of anemia include deficiency of iron, vitamin B12 and folic acid. Other less common causes include thalassemic trait and anemia of chronic disease. The treatment would depend upon the cause identified.
Your symptoms could also be arising from a lack of physical exercise and fitness.
At 31 years of age, it is less likely that your symptoms are being caused by a problem in the heart unless you are a diabetic, smoker or have a family history of heart disease. However, if you want to be doubly sure, I would suggest that you consult a cardiologist who can perform certain tests like an electrocardiogram, a treadmill test and blood tests for fasting sugar and fasting lipid profile. I would suggest that a treadmill test be done only once the anaemia has been corrected.
I hope this answers your query. Feel free to contact me again for any further clarifications.
Dr RS Varma