Increase in height in 25 year old male

I am 25 Male, I like to increase my height by 5cm minimum. Is it possible?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 18 minutes later

Height increase after puberty is very difficult, It has been considered nothing more than a wishful thinking by the men and women of short stature.

Before puberty, the growth portions of the bone (called epiphyseal junction) contains the active cartilage that elongates at the centre and the edges get calcified. So as long as this cartilage is active the elongation of the bone is possible.

Usually, after the age of 23, this cartilage is completely calcified and the chances of natural increase in height is not possible.

But a surgical procedure, called ILIZAROV technique (TRANSOSSEOUS OSTEOSYNTHESIS) can be used to artificially split the 2 bone ends, and then aid the growth of the cartilage and then lengthen the bone over a period of weeks to months. The exact lengthening that can be achieved is about 20-30% of the actual bone length.

You can consult a orthopedic surgeon, who can advice you more regarding the procedure.

Hope I have answered your query.

If you have any more queries, I will be available to answer them as well.