IVF to be done. Will smoking pot have any affect on it?

I am getting IVF done. I am starting the process next wk. I have smoked pot for awhile now (13 yrs). I need to know if doc. test for pot use before doing the process? Will this affect my chances? I might only hit it once every other day. I do not plan to smoke again until after giving birth. I'm just nervous and unsure of what to do. I have read online that the use of it in the last year makes a difference. I guess my biggest concern is is the dr going to test for it? I will not smoke again until all this is over. I want this to bad

Posted Fri, 19 Oct 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 3 hours later

Thanks for writing to us

Smoking is hazardous to the health of foetus as it can cause birth defects in first trimester like cardiac defects.It can cause miscarriages as well as placenta praevia , placental abruption and premature rupture of membranes.The blood flow to the fetus through umbilical cord can be insufficient for the growth of fetus.I hope knowing all these side effects you will quit smoking as soon as possible.You are going through IVF and already had one abortion so it is better to quit it.I know it is very difficult but strong will power with yoga and meditation will help you out.As far as knowing of the doctor about it is not important than the health of your baby.It is better if you tell your doctor about it.

Best wishes and take care
Follow-up: IVF to be done. Will smoking pot have any affect on it? 12 hours later
So I still didn't get confirmation of what I was asking. If I stop now. Which it's only been 2 days but its a start. Is this still XXXXXX for the baby? I never want to smoke again. It is something I want to never do again.
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 11 hours later

Welcome back

Smoking pot means marijuana and it causes nervous disorder in the fetus like memory loss or other damages like changes in the behavioural pattern.In some studies they have seen associated leukemia also. No drug is safe in pregnancy.Marijuana contains delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol which can cause withdrawal symptoms in the new born just after delivery. It will be secreted in milk and can cause withdrawal symptoms.Infants born to the mothers smoking marijuana are low birth weight babies. Seeing all this I would advise you to tell your doctor about it.Please do not go for IVF just now.You can leave smoking and minimum period gap required is at least one year till you plan your baby.I hope you get my point which is good for you as well as your baby's health. If you go through studies you will find some of the females commenting of no side effects of the drug but there is no definite research which says that the drug is safe during pregnancy.One should not take any chances.It is better to talk to your doctor about it and take a second opinion.
Best wishes