I smell pee everywhere. What should I do?

I smell pee everywhere, nobody else smells it but me its nauciating. What should I do?
Posted Thu, 2 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 28 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

It is quite peculiar problem which you are having. It commonly occurs during pregnancy and resolves thereafter. It however, can also occur in normal people.

Sense of smell originates in the olfactory nerves in the nose and is transmitted to brain along the nerves.

Now if you are smelling urine without it actually being there, there is some irritation/stmiulation going on alomg the nerve pathway.

First of all you will need to rule out comon conditions such as Sinusitis and Nasal polyps. An MRI brain is recommended to evaluate for any lesions within the brain. Most of the times, these evaluations unremarkable.

Its not only difficult to find the cause of the problem, but it is equally difficult to treat the condition. Unfortunately, ther are no specific drugs for this condition.

Ther is nothing specific which can be offered. You can try antihistaminics such as cetrizine, nasal douches with soap and water frquently, nasal sprays containing menthol.

Do consult a good Neurologist such that you can be evaluated.

Please get back if you need any further informtion.

Dr Kiran