I recently found out I have mild scoliosis I started

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I recently found out I have mild scoliosis I started getting pains in my knee about the 3 rd adjustments by the 5th my kneewas swollen ( don’t know if this has anything to do with it ) I went into a “ walk in center “ they did any X-ray and said I had Slight Cortical thickening on distal femur bone. I have Swelling and pain in knee only when standing ... is this serious ? Waiting on orthopedic
Posted Fri, 1 Dec 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Degenerative changes

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

Thanks for the query,

Usually, this can go together especially in a degenerative condition like Osteoarthritis.

Since you had scoliosis you may have developed Osteoarthritis of the knee as well.

Could you please upload the Xray film of the knee and spine, if possible, for my review?

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr.Aashish Raghu

Follow-up: I recently found out I have mild scoliosis I started 42 minutes later
Hi

Unfortunately I don’t have the film . Would the orthoarthritis cause the Cortical thickening on the distal femur ? Could the adjustments have caused more pressure on my knees that I’m waking a different way maybe a stress fracture ? I had no idea I had mild scoliosis and I’m 40. I’m honestly worried that this thickening can be cancer? I have no history of cancer and he didn’t see a tumor. He just scared me

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
MRI followed by biopsy

Detailed Answer:
Cortical thickening is not a feature of Osteoarthritis, although news bone formation in the form of osteophytes is common.

It would be best to get an MRI scan of the region to shed better light on the diagnosis

Follow-up: I recently found out I have mild scoliosis I started 26 minutes later
Biopsy ? How did you go from degenitive changes to biopsy. When I said I was told of the Slight thickening.. why not mention biopsy than? My question was what would cause the slight corstal thickening on the distal femur bone? Could a stress fracture cause it ?

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Biopsy to confirm

Detailed Answer:
If there is Periosteal thickening it could indicate stress fracture, bone infection or osteomyelitis or a bone tumour.

Biopsy can help conform the diagnosis.

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Xray picture please

Detailed Answer:
Could you please upload the Xray film of possible following which I'll be able to further guide you in this regard.

Follow-up: I recently found out I have mild scoliosis I started 2 minutes later
I was told they could see a tumor right on the X-ray of this was cancer ? Is that not true ?
Follow-up: I recently found out I have mild scoliosis I started 7 hours later
I also had my alkaline phosphate blood test in 5/17 routine blood work .. which was 41 ( lowest range 38) would a cancerous tumor show up this quickly ?.. what are the causes of slight Cortical thinkening on the distal femur ? There was no tumor seen on xray . I uploaded the X-ray but it is bad quality .

Brief Answer:
Not to worry

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the Xray. The cortical thickening is very minimal and can be followed up with repeat Xray after 6 months. It looks benign as of now.

The alkaline phosphatase level is not significantly high so no need to worry at all.

Follow-up: I recently found out I have mild scoliosis I started 13 hours later
Could this be a stress fracture ? I noticed the swelling after I ran up 3 flights of stairs right about my knee cap . Would stress fracture cause thickening? Also most of the time they see a tumor with the thickening on xray ? I’m impatiently awaiting my orthopedic appt

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
MRI needed

Detailed Answer:
Stress fractures are less likely to occur in the distal femur and area common in the tibia.

Stress fracture will show thickening of cortex.

Certain bone tumours can also show bone thickening.

It is best to get an MRI scan of the lower limb to help rule out certain causes

Follow-up: I recently found out I have mild scoliosis I started 2 hours later
He just showed me , this was not written up on a report . He did write something down that the girl at the desk could not even read . He is not the best radiologist it’s like a Clinic that I’m sorry I went to . This is why I’m panicked asking questions on the internet . I’m not sure if it said Cortical or cortex but what he showed me was on the outer part of the bone and he said thickening. I didn’t realized Cortical and cortex made such a big difference. If the thickening is on the outer part of the bone it’s the cortex ? I’m following up with my orthopedic and I’m sure he will advice me what to do ... But I really don’t see much on the X-ray , I know it’s not a good picture. Honestly do you ? .

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry about

Detailed Answer:
The outer part of the bone is the cortex.

The Xray looks very benign and toy can ignore the report.