I have painful rash on back. No itching. Is it fungal infection? Antibiotics?

I have a rash on my back. There is no itching in it but it is pains, specially when I touch it. I think that it might be a fungal rash because I remember that I had one such rash about 2 years back also. Can you suggest some cream?
Posted Fri, 29 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 25 hours later

Thank you for posting your query,

You have provided with good information regarding your health concern and it is a very good description. I appreciate it.
I understood your problem however it would be good if you can answer few of my queries:
1) How long you have been having this?
2) Do you observe any pus filled lesions on the patch on the back?
3) Do you have any burning sensation on the patch.
4) Have you tried any creams over the patch recently?

Answer to these questions would help me understand your problem better.Even a close up picture of the lesion would help me further. So if you can send me a picture of the lesion on back ,I would appreciate.
You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

I shall address your concern based on your current given information.
With history what you have submitted ,there seems to be two possibilities.

First and the most probable possibility is of a fungal infection .The reason for this is that you have diabetes ,in which we often come across such infection .The second reason is that you already had a similar attack in past .

The second possibility is of a inflammatory lesion with pustules ,which are painful to touch.Again such boils are common in diabetic patients.

If you can reply me with the answers and the pictures, I would be able to suggest you better.

Awaiting for your reply.
Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.
Follow-up: I have painful rash on back. No itching. Is it fungal infection? Antibiotics? 1 hour later
Hi doctor,
I had this rash about 2 days back. I have attached a picture. I do feel a slight burning sensation there. I did apply an antifungal cream yesterday, unfortunately I do not remember the name. On a different note, my diabetes is under control. My last HbA1C which I took about 2.5 months back was 6.7 .

Thanks and Regards,
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 11 hours later

Thank you for the reply and the pictures.

Sorry to say but its not a very clear picture .But what I get from the picture is that its a discrete red rash (not just one patch) and as you said its painful , I have a doubt that it could be Herpes zoster rash.Herpes zoster rashes are painful that too only on one side of the body and the rashes are small water filler blisters (very tiny vesicles with peripheral redness).It may be associated with fever too especially on day 3 .These rashes usually follow after a hectic day schedule or exertion(i.e physical or mental effort).It could be in the form of travelling or any physical activity.

These rashes are seen only on one side of the body.It doesn't seems to be of fungal origin in this picture.

I would advice you to consult a dermatologist soon and get it checked.

If it comes to be herpes zoster then you need to take oral anti viral medicine for at-least 7 days along with pain killers.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.