I have degenerative disc disease, fibromyalgia and MS. What should be used to relieve from pain?

I have degenerative disc disease. Is there anything that can be used to relieve pain? I also have fibromyalgia, and MS
Posted Thu, 9 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later

The pain due to degenerative disc disease is treated either conservatively or surgery. We can treat the acute episodes of pain with over the counter anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen or with prescription pain killers. Unresponsive cases are taken up for intrathecal steroid injections or surgery.

In addition to the above, symptoms can be kept under control by physiotherapy, back strengthening exercise, calcium / vitamin D supplements and avoiding strenuous physical exercises.

Fibromyalgia can be contributing to the pain and needs to be treated accordingly.

Multiple sclerosis (MS) is not related to degenerative disc disease.

Hope this answers your query. I will be able to provide you with more information related to your problem if you can brief me your current treatment.

Best Regards
Follow-up: I have degenerative disc disease, fibromyalgia and MS. What should be used to relieve from pain? 8 hours later
currently I am on ibuprofen, citalopram, and trazadone. At one point the doctor I had put me on morphine, but I didn't like taking that. I am not sure if anything I am doing should be helping with the Fibromyalgia.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 17 hours later
Hi and thanks again,

Degenerative Disc Disease and Fibromyalgia are responsible for back and multiple body pains. Treating both the condition adequately is required for good pain management.

I hope my previous reply was clear about degenerative disc disease treatment.

As far as fibromyalgia is concerned, the right and adequate treatment is individualized according to your symptoms. In general Trazadone and Citalopram form the most important components of medications. The doses and frequency of these can be adjusted to bring about maximum benefits. In addition other analgesics like nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID's) or opioid drugs like codeine / hydrocodone or even morphine may be added to make sure you have a pain free life.
Besides the medications, we doctors also appreciate the benefits of diet, lifestyle and stress management in the treatment of fibromyalgia. Lastly alternative forms of treatment such as chiropractor practices, acupuncture and so on can also be considered.

Understanding about the illness, taking the medications religiously, and strict diet / lifestyle changes along with proper stress management can help you.

To summarize, what you are suffering with - degenerative disc disease and fibromyalgia are both chronic condition and treatment will be individualized. Work closely with an orthopedic/back surgeon, rheumatologist and psychiatrist to rationalize your medications. Diet, lifestyle changes and stress management should also apply. In addition cyclical visit to a physio centre will be useful. Intrathecal injections and surgery could be considered as the last resort.

Hope I have provided a comprehensive view of how to manage your problem. You may use this as guideline and take your treatment forward. Let me know if you have any enquiries.

Good luck!!

Dr. Prasad