I am smoker. Will it be safe to take livolin?

My query is about Livolin Forte, I am currently in Malaysia and I saw an advertisement for Livolin and am curious if it would be good for me. I spend half of my life in Thailand and I smoke around 25 cigarettes a day and during my time in Thailand drink between 10-15 beers a day, want to try and give my body a break, would Livolin be good to use as a kind of health kick for a month while I am here in Malaysia? Also, is Livolin a vitamin based tablet, are there any risks while using taking Livolin
Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 3 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your question.

Livolin Forte is a dietary supplement which contains phospholipids and vitamins and has been found to support the functions of the liver. The exact composition of Livolin Forte is as follows:
Polyunsaturated Phosphatidylcholine 300 mg
Vit B1 10 mg
Vit B2 6 mg
Vit B6 10 mg
Vit B12 10 mcg
Nicotinamide 30 mg
Vit E 10 mg

Livolin Forte is generally prescribed in cases of alcoholic liver disease, fatty liver or hepatitis. It has been shown to have a beneficial effect for the liver. Except hypersensitivity reactions, this medication is not known to have any major side effects. So, in view of your excessive alcohol consumption, I would advise you to take Livolin Forte.

Your excessive smoking and alcohol consumption are definitely a matter of concern. Both ca lead to adverse health consequences and diseases. So , please take note of this and cut down on them. If you are finding it difficult to contro these habits, then please seek the professional help.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Follow-up: I am smoker. Will it be safe to take livolin? 3 hours later
I would like to ask for some advise towards the stopping smoking, although I know I know my drinking is doing me no favours, it is something I can manage. So far as smoking, no, I have an addictive nature and although I have given up smoking for short periods in the the past, once while taking Zyban and the second through hypnosis, is there anything you can suggest, preferably without the use of drugs
Hello again and thanks for writing in.

Its a good thing that you have taken the initiative to seek help for your smoking. Here are some suggestions / techniques that have been proven effective...

Now, the first step in quitting is to set a 'quit date' and mentally prepare yourself for it. It is usually advisable to stop completely because reducing gradually may last only temporarily.

The second step is to deal with the initial phase of 'withdrawal'. Withdrawal phase is usually the first few days when a person can have psychological symptoms (craving to smoke, irritability, tension, etc.) and physical symptoms (headache, disturbed sleep, increased appetite, etc.). One of the effective ways of dealing with these withdrawal symptoms is Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT). In NRT, nicotine chewing gums or sprays or skin patches are used to partially replace the chemical, so that the person stays comfortable without withdrawal symptoms, at the same time is able to refrain from smoking. The nicotine replacement is later on gradually reduced and stopped.

The third and most important step is to prevent 'relapse' (i.e. re-starting the habit). Treatment for this can be with medication or with counselling. Now, if you are not too inclined towards taking drugs, there are a wide variety of psychological techniques to enhance your motivation, to teach you strategies to control craving and hence prevent relapses. Motivational Enhancement Therapy, Hypnotherapy, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, etc. are all effective psychological therapies

The fourth step is lifestyle modification. It is important to remember that smoking is not just a physical habit but often becomes intertwinned with your lifestyle. So, appropriate personal and social modifications like planning your activities, avoiding social situations where you are likely to be tempted, finding alternative forms of relaxation, etc. are essential.

I hope that you will be able to benefit from these suggestions.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist