I am overweight, smoker. On medicine for low BP and pulse rate. Is this normal?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
hello i am 22 male overweight smoker i have been on bp meds for 3 years all of a sudden my blood presure and pulse got really low so my doc told me to stop my meds that weeks ago now i have normal bp range but my pulse drops to 60bpm when im resting when im active dose not go past 90bpm i can be sitting up with 90bpm lay down and 10 seconds later its 60bpm is this all normal? my only lifestyle chane was 1/2 mile a day walk and eating a little healthy
Posted Tue, 14 Aug 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Please do not worry.
Bradycardia or decreased heart rate is considered to be sudden or unexplained pulse rate to less than 60 beats per minute.
For an adult, a normal resting heart rate ranges from 60 to 100 beats a minute. For a well-trained athlete, a normal resting heart rate may be closer to 40 beats a minute. For healthy adults, a lower heart rate at rest generally implies more efficient heart function and better cardiovascular fitness.

Keep in mind that many factors can influence heart rate, including:

Activity level
Fitness level
Air temperature
Body position (standing up or lying down, for example)
Body size
Medication use

As of now if you are not having any symptoms like breathlessness , dizziness , chest pain or abnormal blood pressure ( normal is 100-130/60-90) then you need not worry.
If you have any associated symptoms then it's best to consult your doctor and get a ECG and stress test done especially if you are still overweight and continue smoking.
Sometimes our body might undergo hormonal changes or stress related changes causing fluctuation in resting heart rate .
In such cases your doctor can rule out any underlying problems like thyroid disorder, psychosomatic illnesses etc by thorough evaluation and investigation.
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.