I am 13 years old. What to start lifting weights. Looking for suggestion

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello, Im 13 and i was wondering if i could start lifting weights. I play football and my coach said it is ok. Some people say it stunts your growth, and some people say it helps. I need as much info as possible. Thanks
Posted Fri, 27 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 34 minutes later
At the age of 13, doing an exercise specially aerobics increases the release of growth hormone from the pituitary gland. This helps in increasing height and overall growth of the body. Doing exercise can never cause stunting of the growth.
Starting with lifting weights is also a good idea. This will help in building up your muscle mass.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: I am 13 years old. What to start lifting weights. Looking for suggestion 3 minutes later
So, it is ok for me to lift weights?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 13 minutes later
Yes. This will help to build up your muscles.