Hypertension. Taking cardice H5 and tonact daily. Are these medicines harmful, advise?

I am 48 years old. I am hypertensive for the last 14 years. I take medicine for B.P is cardice H 5 daily for the last one year and for cholostrol I take Tonact 10 mg daily for the last one year. My question is are these m,dicines are harmful for my health. After taking medicine both my B.P and cholesterol are in normal range.
Please advise me.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 2 hours later
I shall give you my opinion.
The medicine Cardace-H (for hypertension) is well tolerated so you should continue as per your doctor’s advice. Tonact (atorvastatin) is also well tolerated but it can cause disturbance in liver functions. So while you are on this medicine you need to keep monitoring your liver functions by getting your blood tested (for any increase in liver enzymes) at regular interval. In case you experience minor side effects like constipation, diarrhea, fatigue, gas, heartburn, and headache you should discuss it with your doctor.
Since you have been on this medicine for quite some time and it has been well tolerated I would suggest you to continue till your doctor’s advices to do so.
If your cholesterol is within normal range you can discuss with your Physician. If he finds it suitable for you he may advise you reduction in dose or even withdraw Tonact after some time. But you should regularly continue Cardace-H to maintain normal blood pressure.
Hope this answer is helpful to you. In case of any other query please write back and I shall help you. Please accept this answer and close this query if you have no further questions.