How to treat visible scar on child's face?

Jan 2014

a visible scar on my daughter's right cheek. She is just 6 years old. She fell from the stairs and have a very light scar which is visible and looks ugly. Please advise.
Posted Mon, 30 Dec 2013 in Beauty
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 17 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hyperpigmented linear scar Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX The picture shows a hyperpigmented linear scar on her right cheek bone. Use a broad spectrum sunscreen(against both UVB and UVA spectrum) for her. This will prevent it from further darkening due to sun exposure. I would advice that you apply a skin lightening cream containing agents like Kojic acid, Glycolic acid. Apply it twice daily on the scar (rub it in slightly) for 4-6 weeks. You can get it on prescription from a dermatologist.This will lessen the hyperpigmentation of the scar gradually and make it less and less noticeable. Did she get any stitches too after the fall? take care regards
Follow-up: How to treat visible scar on child's face? 14 minutes later
how about silver sulfadiazine and chlorhexidine gluconate cream which is broad spectrum antimicrobial. which is silverx as known in the market.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: Apply Silverex only on fresh wounds/break in skin. Detailed Answer: Hi. Antimicrobial cream like silverex only need to be applied when their is a fresh wound/break in the skin because we don't want the wound to get infected by bacteria Once the wound has healed/covered by skin it can be stopped. Looking at the picture of your daughter their is Hyperpigmentation at the site of healed wound. For that you need to apply a lightening cream like i mentioned before. Take care regards
Follow-up: How to treat visible scar on child's face? 23 minutes later
Appreciate if you could please suggest a cream. I was advised to use mederma cream. It does not seem to work much. There were no stitches. just a scar, does look ugly. Appreciate if you could please suggest a cream. I was advised to use Mederma Cream and it did not help. Appreciate if you could please suggest a cream which has Kojic acid, Glycolic acid. Thanks a lot for the advise.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 15 hours later
Brief Answer: You are welcome Detailed Answer: Hi..Demelan cream contains Kojic acid, glycolic acid, arbutin etc. Its available OTC as well as on prescription of a dermatologist. Use it once daily to begin with and then after 2 weeks use it twice daily. Also use a broad spectrum sunscreen regularly. take care