Ask a Dentist   »  

How to treat an ulcer caused due to injury by finger nail 2 weeks ago ?

I had develped an ulcer in my mouth (lower left jaw below 2nd molar) after accidentally making a tiny cut with fingernail 2 weeks ago. Had swollen glands and sore neck for a few days. Now the original site is still sore and is a round white spot about 1cm. I can feel bone with my fingernail. Is this the result of infection..Teeth in area are also sensitive when chewing.

Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

From the symptoms of pain, formation of ulcer earlier and sensitive teeth it is an indication of infection. You need to get it examined from your dentist and get topical and oral antibiotics prescribed immediately. Moreover the swollen glands are indicative of an infection as glands swell up in response to an infection.

Till then you can follow these treatment methods:

1)     Maintain oral hygiene and avoid spicy or acidic foods like colas, juices etc at this time.

2)     Eat a soft, bland diet to reduce the pain and drink plenty of fluids.

3)     Avoid salty foods, citrus fruits and foods that need chewing.

4)     Drink plenty of fluids to avoid any dehydration.

5)     You can take some vitamin supplements after consulting your doctor as it will help in improving the symptoms.

6)     You can use numbing ointments, such as benzocaine, anti-inflammatory (steroid) gels, benadryl allergy liquid mouthwash and oral preparations of steroids after consulting your doctor.

7)     For soothing effects you can also use over the counter lozenges.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.