How to get rid of severe shoulder pain?

severe shoulder painI'm a 23 year old female that plays full pads, full contact womens football and has a job where I constantly lift weights of 10+ pounds over my head. About 4 Weeks ago my shoulder started popping and feeling as though it was moving in and out of place. Its painful to lift my arm above my head and down in the "pulling a wagon motion". My right collar bone feels raised up and outwards, my shoulder feels like ots stuck pushed forward, the bone above my shouldee feels more raised up and prominent, my shoulder blade feels like its moved down and there's a large lump across the top of it and there is severe pain under my shoulder blade, in my shoulder especially between the collarbone end and shoulder as well as down my arm. If I leave my arm at my side my hand turns a greyish purple gets really cold and starts to tingle. I went to the urgent care facility Here in town and they without looking at it and examining it told me to put it in a sling and take 800mv of ibuprofen (been taking 1600Mg to just make it through work) and that was pretty much it. Any type of movement now makes my shoulder have tjat feeling of popping and you can hear it.
Posted Sat, 29 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 2 hours later
Hello and thanks for posting the query
I have read your query with diligence. According to the history you have explained in your query, it is sure that there is something not going to cured with Ibuprofen, the cause of the pain needs to be investigated. In my opinion there might be dislocation of Acromioclavicular (AC) joint of shoulder. The symptoms like prominent bone at top of the shoulder joint, pain in movement above shoulder level, sometime numbness or tingling of arm etc. are present in it.
There are also chances of some nerve injury because you have discoloration, cold and tingling of hand or arm. This is a matter of concern and to be treated as soon as possible.

Consult your orthopaedic specialist as soon as possible and get your X-ray shoulder done. If needed and advised by your doctor CT scan or MRI scan is helpful in getting to a diagnosis and rule out any abnormality in your joint.

Write back if you have any further query.
Best Wishes and get well soon.
Dr. Kulbir Singh