How to get rid of extremely stuffy nose after throwing up?

How to get rid of extremely stuffy nose after throwing up
Posted Wed, 8 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 50 minutes later
Dear Sir

The different ways to decrease stuffiness of your nose are
1. Always blow gently. Never blow it with full force.
2. Try to take steam as often as Feasible (4-6 times a day).
3. There are medicines which decrease the thickness of your nasal secretions, hence facilitating theIR clearance which are known as mucolytics. You can take one of these under supervision of your doctor.
4. You may also use some decongestant medicine directly into nose but only after discussing with your General physician so that he can check that you do not have any contraindications (conditions where use of this drug is prohibited).
5. Certain oral decongestants are also available but should be used in consultation with your doctor.
6. Once you are free of this current episode, try to do daily exercise where you close one nostril and inhale and exhale through other. Repeat this maneuver for 50 times per day. These will help in preventing future episodes and decreasing your congestion in next episode.

Hope I was able to help you to certain extent in this irritating and frustrating condition.
Sukhvinder Singh
Follow-up: How to get rid of extremely stuffy nose after throwing up? 2 hours later
Is it normal to get such a stuffy nose after throwing up from bad food?
Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 42 minutes later
Dear Friend

I would not say that it is common but it may occur in a given individual. Some people have it after crying. Some people have it after eating spicy food. Basically the blood supply to the nose is increased in such a way that more blood (congestion) is there in the vessels of the nasal mucosa along with this there are increased secretion by nasal mucosa (the inner lining of nose). If your problem does not last for days together, I think the first two measures written above will suffice for you.

If problem persists longer it means that the vomitus goes to your nose and irritates it. Although it does not have serious implications even then, but you should consult your EAR/Nose/Throat specialist in that case.

I hope I cleared your doubts.
Sukhvinder Singh