How to get off pain medication?

Addiction Medicine Specialist
I'm going through withdrawal from pain management, as I just recently moved to XXXXXXX and have not been here long enough to find a doctor that will accept my insurance. I want off of the pain medication, but the withdrawal symptoms are horrible, and I have 3 small children who need me to be 100%. Can you help me please?
Posted Sun, 2 Mar 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 59 minutes later
Brief Answer: More details please. Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to Healthcare Magic! You have mentioned using Norco in your medical history. Please let me know if you were on any other opioids as well. I would need to know how long have you been on opioids and what was your daily intake. Please also let me know when did you take the last dose and how much was it. Also mention what exactly are you feeling at present. Let me know if you still have some Norco tablets with you. I'll try to help you go through the withdrawal as best as I can. Best wishes. Dr Preeti Parakh MD Psychiatry
Follow-up: How to get off pain medication? 11 minutes later
I'm on 5/325, and I have 2 left. I don't want more pain meds. I want something to get me through the withdrawal so that I can function and look after my children. PLEASE help me! My last dose was at 5pm Central time. I'm so terrified. I have drastically decreased my dose by 50% over the last 3 days. I'm having diarrhea, nausea, anxiety, horrible mood swings, joint and muscle pain.
Answered by Dr. Preeti Parakh 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Explained below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Please do not worry. Start by taking lots of fluids, especially oral rehydration solutions. Get some over the counter analgesics like acetaminophen (Tylenol). These are not opioids. Take Tylenol only when the pain is unbearable, not taking more than four per day. If possible, get ointments containing analgesics, used for local application over injuries like muscle sprains or joint pains. With your history of kidney disease, ointments would be safer than oral analgesics. Apply over the painful joints. Take some over the counter antacids as well, to help with the nausea and prevent acidity from analgesics. Keep telling yourself that this is going to improve in a couple of days and that people do not die from opioid withdrawal. Do not take the remaining Norco pills as they will just prolong your withdrawal. If you have access to a doctor, ask for a prescription of clonidine. It will help reduce your withdrawal symptoms significantly, but is not available over the counter. Just hang on and have patience. It is very difficult to tolerate but it will start getting better in a couple of days. You have to be strong for the sake of your children. Best wishes. Dr Preeti Parakh MD Psychiatry