How to get off of my pain medicine?

I'm trying to get off of my pain medicine, but my withdrawal symptoms are horrible. Can you help me? I don't want more pain medication, I just want to make it thru the symptoms so I can get my life back for myself and my kids.I'm on Norco 5/325. I have 2 left, and I'm scared.
Posted Sun, 2 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 54 minutes later
Brief answer....taper the medicines gradually. Detailed answer... Hello, Thanks for the query. I can understand your problem because coming out of pain medications and specially the opiods type and that too after a prolonged use is definitely problemetic,but can be achieved gradually with patience. Since you have not mentioned the name of medicine and it's dose you are taking,I would tell you a general way of doing it. Don't reduce the drug by more than 10% or start reducing 1/8 th of drug every fortnight. Although this would take few months in coming out but you would do it with very few or just manageable withdrawl symptoms. I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query. First of all please don't get scared .I know it is difficult thing but the fact is you can not quit it cold XXXXXXX Severity of withdrawl symptoms depend upon the no of tablets a person is taking per day and the amount of times he has been taking it. Since NORCO is taken multiple times a day and you are left with only two tablets,it would be just impossible for you to do it of your own. The best for you would be to go to your own doctor or some addiction specialist or to some detox or rehab clinic,because with multiple doses a day ,it would be very difficult for you to rightly judge the amount of drug to be withdrawn and moreover you need a medically supervised environment to guard against any physical withdrawal complications like dehydration etc. Don't get panicky and proceed ahead with cool head and take a professional help. Best of luck Thanks