How to deal with patient suffering from hallucinations?

my 92 year old Mom is suffering from hallucinations, she has poor eye sight but sees her "new friends" nearly every day. Is there any thing that can be done or do we just deal with this situation?
Posted Wed, 1 Jan 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer....given below Detailed answer... Hello, Thanks for the query. It seems your mother is suffering from dementia which is a normal ageing process in the person.Person with dementia experiences range of conditions in which person experiences things differently. Although hallucinations and delusions are imaginary but they seem very real to person experiencing them. Sometimes Thete are treatable causes for such symptoms and so person must be investigated for deficiency of calcium,VIT B12,FOLIC acid and electrolytes or the person may be having thyroid or renal disorder which would require detailed investigations. You must insult a psychiatrist and get your mother investigated thoroughly and then appropriately treated. In case  the symptoms of your mother are due to the causes mentioned above,she may see dramatic improvement in her condition in a very short time. I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query. Best of luck Thanks