How to deal with depression when suffering from Alzheimer's disease?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jun 2014
Jun 2014
Excellent

Psychiatrist
Question
Mom with Alzheimers doesn't want me out of her sight. It is very difficult to have to be her security blanket all day. She doesn't want me to leave the house even when there is someone there to make sure she's ok.
Posted Thu, 20 Feb 2014 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 5 hours later
Brief Answer: A psychiatric review can be helpful... Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for choosing healthcare magic for query. I would try to solve your problem. In Alzheimer disease, some time patients develop underline depression or psychotic symptoms. In depression, patient would have excessive worries about family members and would allow them to move away. In that case patient would able to maintain self and needs antidepressant in treatment. In psychotic episode, patient would become aggressive and would not allow family member to move away due to suspiciousness. In that case self care would decrease and patient needs antipsychotic. In your mother case, she needs psychiatrist evaluation to find out whether she is in depression or psychosis. Treatment would depend upon her mental examination. You should consult a psychiatrist for further examination. In Case you need my help, i would happy to help you. Regards Dr. Abhishek Kapoor Psychiatrist

Follow-up: How to deal with depression when suffering from Alzheimer's disease? 34 minutes later
She was recently hospitalized in the XXXXXXX Diagnostic Center and was evaluated as psychosis which seems like a broad term to me. How do I assure her I'm not going anywhere and that she doesn't need my constant attention, or is it a lost cause with her dementia.

Brief Answer: Would improve with antipsychotic Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for your follow up question. First i would like you to give some explanation about psychosis. In psychosis, patient has delusion which is false, fix, firm and unshakable belief. In psychosis, patient, blindly follow their thoughts. They remain fix on their thoughts. In your mother case, psychosis is due to dementia and its happened due to decrease in brain size. It would take time to improve. She needs antipsychotic that would help her. It is difficult to convince her in psychosis. With medicine, such symptoms would decrease on its own. In case you need further help, i would happy to help you. Regards Dr. Abhishek Kapoor Psychiatrist

Follow-up: How to deal with depression when suffering from Alzheimer's disease? 4 hours later
Thank you for your response to my questions. I really appreciate it. Have a great day! XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Thanks Detailed Answer: Thanks I would happy to help you any time. Regards Dr. Abhishek Kapoor