How to cure diarrhea and constipation ?

I'm 19 years old, 5 foot 3 inches, weight about 116 pounds. I'm only allergic to minocycline (to my knowledge). A few days ago, I got diarrhea and then constipation the following day. Today I found sac-like objects in my stool, and the stool itself was sort of shredded-looking.. what does this mean?
Also- I don't know if it helps any, but I took plan b about 5 days ago.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later

As for the diarrhea, it is a potential side-effect of taking the PlanB but not necessarily a common one. As for the sac-like objects, I am not sure that reflects anything worrisome. It may also be related to your diet. I would recommend you increase the amount of fiber in your diet including vegetables and fiber-rich cereals. As for the shredded appearance - that is likely related to incomplete absorption of fluids from the stool in the colon. Let me reassure you that these stool changes do not sound worrisome.

I would recommend you try increasing the fiber content of your diet for the next few days.

Regarding the PlanB, I would recommend the following link for more information including frequently asked questions which may be helpful to you.

I hope I've adequately answered your concerns. I am available for your followups.
Follow-up: How to cure diarrhea and constipation ? 13 hours later
Thank you very much. That makes me feel much better.
I do have another question, however, in regard to the diet. I researched a bit and read that the shredded appearance may have something to do with a case of lactose intolerance. How likely is it that I may have a slight case of that? Would you recommend also laying off any dairy for a few days?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 9 hours later
Hello again,
You are correct - lactose intolerance can lead to change in the consistency of stool You might alter your diet a bit and decrease or eliminate dairy or substitute soy milk or soy products and see how things go for a few weeks. Lactose intolerance is somewhat more common in people with European ancestry. In your case, we can suspect a slight case of lactose intolerance for now while we see how things respond with an alteration in your diet.

Lactose intolerance can also lead to a bit of bloating or cramping after consumption of dairy products. I'd recommend a 2 week trial of limiting dairy and maybe consider keeping a food diary as well to see if there are any foods in particular which affect your bowel habits.

Again, I hope this was helpful to you. I wish you continued good health.