How to avoid gagging while brushing?

ENT Specialist
I've been having excessive gagging,it occurs when I'm brushing my teeth,or if I attempt to hold something in my mouth ex. mouthwash, I can see or smell somethin that will make me gagg easily. I'm 43, single, not sexually active...PHM: HTN,DMII,PCOS
Posted Sat, 1 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. A gag reflex is a protective reflex for the airway.

2. There is no specific treatment for a hyperactive gag reflex.

3. If this is a recent onset overactive gag reflex, acid reflux, allergy and / or a post nasal drip of phlegm may make the tongue and throat more sensitive.

4. Diabetes and hypertension may also cause nerve damage in the long run, leading to an excessive gag. Stress worsens the symptoms.

5. You may attempt to de-sensitise the trigger areas in the oral cavity by progressively longer stimulation with a tongue cleaner brush.

6. Relaxation, breathing through your nose, local anesthetic mouth washes, and voluntary suppression will help reduce the gag reflex.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.