Having excessive gagging. What treatment should be done?

ENT Specialist
I have been having excessive gagging ,it happend when I brush my teeth,flossing, it has even happen while I was at the dentist, I can even goggle without gagging.
Posted Wed, 5 Dec 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. A gag reflex is a protective reflex for the airway.

2. There is no specific treatment for a hyperactive gag reflex.

3. If this is a recent onset overactive gag reflex, acid reflux, allergy and / or a post nasal drip of phlegm may make the tongue and throat more sensitive.

4. Diabetes and hypertension may also cause nerve damage in the long run, leading to an excessive gag. Stress worsens the symptoms.

5. You may attempt to de-sensitise the trigger areas in the oral cavity by progressively longer stimulation with a tongue cleaner brush.

6. Relaxation, breathing through your nose, local anesthetic mouth washes, and voluntary suppression will help reduce the gag reflex.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.