How safe is it to take pregnancy termination medicine?

Mar 2013
Hi how safe if iam taking pregnency termination medicine.I have checked and tested that iam pregnant and my period is 2-3 days delayed now.I have taken pregenancy termination medicine last year aswell. Please suggest how safe it is and let me know the adverse effects of it.
Posted Thu, 4 Apr 2013 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 27 minutes later

Please do not play with your life so casually by taking pregnancy termination medicines by yourself.
It is absolutely unsafe and risky.
A proper procedure has to be followed for medical abortion.
The pregnancy must always be confirmed by a Gynecologist, not just by home testing.
Secondly, exact dates and weeks must be known before taking any kind of medicines, because these pills work only in specific time frame.
Thirdly, correct dose and schedule has to be taken as per proper prescription, and not just from any chemist.
Fourth, after taking the correct dose, you should have follow up visit with a Gynecologist to confirm that abortion was complete.

I this procedure is not followed, there are many probable risks and complications .

Firstly, anytime you could have massive bleeding .
You could have retained products and incomplete abortion, which will impair your fertility and periods.
You could face severe pelvic infection.

Also, proper contraception is the answer for you, instead of repeated terminations in this way.
Even in the best of hands and under guidance of a doctor also, medicines can fail and then you would require surgical abortion.

Repeated terminations can cause long lasting pelvic infection, uterine inflammation and sometimes cause tubal damage and tubal block which will affect future fertility and well being.

Please , I urge you to consult a good Gynecologist before taking any step on your own.

Take care, and feel free to ask any further questions.
Follow-up: How safe is it to take pregnancy termination medicine? 1 hour later
Hi Thanks for your reply ! .

1.Intercourse happened 15 days back.
2.Apart from simple pregnancy tester please let me know the name of test which i can get it done from outside to confirm the pregnancy.
3.Could you please suggest appropriate medicine and correct dose and schedule for medical abortion as its a starting stage.

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 25 minutes later

I think you have not got my point at all.
Only a pelvic check up and ultrasound will confirm pregnancy.
The medicines can definitely NOT be prescribed online casually as it is illegal and a crime.
Rarely, pregnancy is outside the uterus and then taking such pills can lead to death also.
I again urge you to value your life and health, and consult a doctor for check up, ultrasound and further prescription and guidance.
I know what I am saying would sound harsh, but I only have your best interests at heart, and I have to be true to my professional ethics also.
Please take care