How much magnesium is needed to replace 2mg perindo medication for blood pressure?

i would like to know how much magnesium i would need to take to replace my 2mg perindo medication for blood pressure
Posted Mon, 30 Jul 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.
High blood pressure is a serious condition that increases your risk of a heart attack or stroke. Controlling your blood pressure requires getting regular exercise, managing stress, quitting smoking and eating a healthy diet. While it is important to limit cholesterol and fat intake, it is just as important to get adequate amounts of vitamins and minerals such as potassium, magnesium and calcium as they all help to regulate the activity of your heart. 

Magnesium also plays a role in managing blood pressure because it helps regulate the levels of calcium and potassium. Given this, an adequate intake of dietary magnesium may decrease the risk of high blood pressure especially in women, reports the University of Maryland Medical Center. Foods XXXXXXX in magnesium include tofu, legumes, whole grains, XXXXXXX leafy vegetables, wheat XXXXXXX Brazil nuts, soybean flour, almonds, cashews, blackstrap molasses, pumpkin and squash seeds, pine nuts, and black walnuts. A general recommendation is that adolescent and adult males should get 270 to 350 mg daily and adolescent and adult females need 280 to 300 mg daily. Too much magnesium can also be XXXXXXX and supplements can interact with other medications being taken so always check with your physician first.
If you're concerned, ask your doctor to test your blood for magnesium levels. A normal range is anywhere between .66 and 1.23 mmol/L. To make sure you're getting enough of this important mineral, you can also take magnesium supplements.

All of us could probably benefit from increasing our magnesium intake. But there is such a thing as too much. The tolerable upper intake level for supplemental magnesium is 350 mg per day for adults. That means that you shouldn't take any more than that in supplement form; more than that amount, in addition to the magnesium you get from food and water, could cause problems. At very high levels, the mineral can be toxic, causing kidney failure. But within reasonable limits, magnesium is an important part of a complete supplement program.

At the end I would like to mention that you can't replace your anti hypertensive medicine with magnesium.
As you seem concerned regarding your high BP,you must quit smoking and pursue a healthy life style.
Please do discuss about this with your doctor.
I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck