How long will he have to stay in hospital for torn hamstring muscle?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
My husband has a badly torn hamstring muscle. Scan and MRI indicate surgery to repair it. How long will he have to stay in hospital?
Posted Sat, 1 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Usually 3-4 days hospital stay is routine. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us, I have studied your case with diligence. Usually 3-4 days hospital stay is routinely followed for hamstring repair. It varies also according to severity of tear and weather graft used or not. Important part remains post operative rehabilitation You need to do proper physiotherapy protocol after surgery to strengthen your hamstring muscles. Post-operatively crutches are used to assist in walking for the first few weeks. A brace or protective device also may be used to protect the hamstring. Another factor, which is assessed during surgery, is the ease with which The torn tendon can reach its original insertion on the pelvis. If the tendon was significantly retracted there is a greater likelihood of longer post-operative protection. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care

Follow-up: How long will he have to stay in hospital for torn hamstring muscle? 10 hours later
The scan showed 31mm retraction. Is this a large amount in these cases? Does it retract more as we wait for the operation?

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 15 hours later
Brief Answer: Do not worry Detailed Answer: Hello again, 31 mm retraction is not difficult to place back ,its not a large amount of retraction. It may retract more as you wait for operation.Rest to limb will help to maintain stability of torn muscle. So do not worry and get surgery done as per planning. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.