How long does it take for liver enzyme count to drop?

ENT Specialist
I'm 49 years old femaland was told my liver enzyme counts are elevated to 51 and 87. I do drink 3 glasses of wine a day for years. I stopped drinking for 6 weeks and they will run another test.
Is that long enough to see any drop in liver enzymes?My Hepitis test was negitive.
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

Thanks for the query

Liver enzymes are elevated in many conditions; in most cases, liver enzyme levels are only mildly and temporarily elevated. Marginally elevated liver enzymes need not necessarily be an indicator of serious problems in the liver. The particular enzymes which are commonly elevated are Alanine Transaminase (ALT) and Aspartate Transaminase (AST).

Normal levels of AST and ALT are 7-34 IU/L and 5-40 IU/L respectively. With reference to the normal levels of liver enzymes your liver enzymes are slightly elevated. The levels of liver enzymes indicate the amount of inflammation and damage to the liver. And, if one has consumed alcohol few hours before the blood test, then there are possibilities of liver enzymes to get elevated.

It would be wise to repeat the tests after a period of 6-8 weeks to assess the actual level of elevated liver enzymes in the body and to correlate with that of the previous test. Till then, you can consume plenty of fresh fruits or fruit juice to help in reducing the inflammation of the liver and normalizing the enzymes. Also, avoid greasy food, alcohol and medicines like paracetamol.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any more doubts you are welcome.