How is traumatic disc protrusion of C6-C7 vertebrae treated ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
In January this year I was involved in a head on car accident.. At the time I was taken to hospital for whiplash and had has some neck x rays... as they thought Id damaged my 6/7 next bone, but decided the xray was unclear and discharged me, In the last 2 weeks I have been suffering from permanent neck aches to odd shooting pains on the left side of neck, arm and hand.. Today I have had trouble gripping, carrying items and changing gear is uncomfortable,, I am starting to worry as the feeling is like the beginning of numbness or pins and needles and if i loose sensation may have / cause an accident.. I am going to my doctors tomorrow to have my phsyio appointments re started and would like some advise on what help / referral I should expect from him Thanks
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Sangeet 4 hours later

With respect to your X-ray findings and symptoms, you seem to have a traumatic disc protrusion of C6-C7 vertebrae (neck bone). However clinical co-relation is advised.

A whiplash injury shouldn't be taken lightly if symptomatic.

The numbness and weakness could be attributed to a prolapsed disc from your spine which is pressing onto your nerves supplying the shoulder to hands.

Its wise that you are visiting a doctor, (preferably an Orthopedician/spine surgeon) tomorrow. He will examine the power of your weaker muscles and sensation of your upper limbs. You would require an MRI of the neck to confirm the diagnosis.

You needn't worry as the problem is solvable once the diagnosis is made. And the need for surgery depends on your MRI findings and symptoms.

I would also advise you not to advocate to any exercises if you have severe pain.

I am keen to know your reports tomorrow. I'll be available for your follow up.

Please write back to me, preferably with reports mailed at YYYY@YYYY ATTN "Sangeet".

Hope, I have solved your query. Wish you good health.

Thank you.