How is rheumatoid arthritis treated ?

In August 2010, I developed pylenephritis and sepsis, e coli, unhospitalized,1 gram of rocephin in er, then on cipro po x 10 days
5 days in, i began developing generalized weakness, sob, and elevated bp, then anterior thigh pain, joint pain. never hospitalized, all autoimmune tests neg, all cardio, mri negs, have had chronic pain in differing areas of body,muscle and joints, affects, hip joints, all extremities, shoulder, and posterior ribcage, neck, headache, dizziness, eye sensitivity to light, and bizarre sharp pain for periods of time in back of calf x 6 weeks, then disappears, shows up somewhere else, , it waxs and wanes, but always there to some degree, when it is the worst, exhausting fatigue, sometimes takes my whole weekend to get any energy. any ideas other than fibro, the famous catch all for women in pain
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 28 minutes later

Having pain in almost every joint of the body along with headache and fatigue points more towards arthritis. After the age of 40, it can be the most likely cause.

For polyarthritis, pain killers are the only drugs that will help you and as long as you take the treatment you will feel better.

You can get the antibodies like RA factor checked in your blood to see if it has got any relation to rheumatoid arthritis.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.

Follow-up: How is rheumatoid arthritis treated ? 11 hours later
the pain is not exacerbated with movement, as in bone against bone,, no swelling, also very much XXXXXXX pain in muscular areas. getting an assessment by another rheumatologist would be helpful, as the one here in my town blew it off to emotional in basis. Question: Is it possible to have an auto-immune disorder including ra without positive bloodwork to support any of the same???? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back.

Yes. Even if the RA factor is negative on investigations, still an autoimmune cause might be there and rheumatoid arthritis may not always be the result of an autoimmune disease.
The repeated bone and muscle pain strongly suggest an arthritic origin.

Hope you got your answer.

Follow-up: How is rheumatoid arthritis treated ? 2 days later
one more question, do you think that there is a correlation between the acute sepsis/kidney infection and the onset of the (now chronic) myalgia, muscle tensing, joint pain, ha, increased bp, hr, sob, fatigue that all occurred within a week of each other, and is there any scientific evidence of the same, or is it unexplored territory??
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 13 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

There is no evidence saying that there is a correlation between septicaemia and repeated myalgia and bone pains.The symptoms of increased B.P., heart rate and fatigue are also a co-incidence.

Wish you an early recovery.