How is hymenal blood different from menstrual blood?

Dear Doctor, I am a 23 year old female experiencing difficulties with some kind of bleeding.Last month I traveled(two or more countries) alot and had my wisdom teeth extracted. I was on medication. I was expecting my periods to come this month anytime between XXXXXXX 13 - 15 . Me and my partner were making out ( I have never had sex before). He pushed it pretty hard this time I guess and I slept off. When i woke up in the morning , I realised i was bleeding. I thought it was my periods and left it. But I could see that my flow is very less .. but its been almost 24 hours. I am bleeding on and off. and I dont have any signs of my periods this time (Like hip ache , stomach ache etc) I do not know whether my hymen broke too. I was feeling dizzy the whole day after i started bleeding .. Is this my periods with less flow due to medication or my hymen that is bleeding ? Please let me know how to check if the latter has happened. How do I check whether the Hymen has been broken or not ? Please help and guide..
Age -23 Height - 5 feet 6 inches Weight - 85 Kgs Periods - Very regular till last month
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 3 hours later

The flow of periods is generally dark and sticky while fresh hymennal
bleed is thin red blood.

Periods flow is associated with abdominal cramps and pain while
hymenal tear will have pain below.

U can put a gauze in vagina and check immediately for hymenal bleed by
wiping with tissue outside. Don't forget to remove gauze after the test
all these are not definitive and only suggestive findings
to know exactly a gynae exam is essential.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.