How is high blood pressure prevented ?

My blood pressure is 156 over 76 with 86 bpm how is this considered in terms of health....

Age 29
Height 186
Weight 99.8kg
Weight 99.8kg

No previous medical conditions.....
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 28 minutes later
Hello and thank you for the query.

Your question is a very good one and I will help you with some information and some direction as to what to do next. An ideal blood pressure is roughly 115 to 120 over 70 to 75. Comparing this to the single reading you gave me does raise concern that you may have some degree of raised BP.

We cannot however use a single reading to decide what to do here. If you continue to have elevated readings in the range which you describe then there may need to be some intervention in the form of medication. In the meantime, let me give you some suggestions as to what might help.

1) Low salt diet - may help drop the numbers to a degree.
2) 3 to 5 kilos of weight loss may improve the numbers quite significantly.
3) Healthy regular exercise
4) Decrease caffeine or stimulant consumption
5) Eliminate smoking
6) Consider an alternative to the modafinil. Modafinil does potentially cause elevated blood pressure.

I hope my answer has been adequate and informative for you. Should you have followups related to this concern I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga