Ask a Urologist   »  

How is chronic urinary infection treated ?

I am a 27 year old female. I suffered from a urinary infection for which I took Levode. the symptom vanished and reoccurred after few days when I felt a sensation of going for urination every 5 mins, I followed the same medicine for 5 days (500mg/day) and I was ok, now after a weeks time I am feeling the same sensation, kindly advise.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 52 minutes later
Hi Sarangbani,

Thanks for posting your query

Urinary tract infection is very common in woman and the most common cause is bacterial infection so antibiotics are the first choice which have to be taken for a scheduled time period.But if the symptoms are recurrent then it requires a detailed evaluation to rule out other causes as Cystitis(Bladder infection),Kidney issues etc.

Sexual intercourse is a common cause of urinary tract infections because the female anatomy can make women more prone to urinary tract infections.

Other factors that also may increase a woman's risk of developing UTI include pregnancy, having urinary tract infections or bladder infections as a child or diabetes.

Some suggestions for you:
1)Drink lots of water throughout the day.Also include soups,buttermilk,juices,coconut water.
2)Take OTC avaialble urine Alkalizer as "Alkasol" 1 tbsp in one cup of water three times a day.
3)Drink Craneberry juice as it is very effective for UTI.
4)Take Vitamin C tablet once a day for 15 days.
5)Wear loose cotton undies and keep the area dry.
6)Never hold urine for long.Empty the bladder as soon as the urge is there.
7)Eat Bananas.They are very helpful in UTI.

If the symptoms worsen or there is no improvement even after 3 days consider visiting a Physician for evaluation.

You might require Urine Analysis and culture so that the treatment can be started accordingly.And also a complete blood profile done with blood sugar test.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up if any.
Follow-up: How is chronic urinary infection treated ? 5 hours later
I have got my urine analysis done, it is normal. also whenever I get this infection I get a sore on my lip which has no pain associated, that goes away after I take medicine for UTI. Kindly advise
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 1 hour later

Thanks for the follow up

If the Urine Analysis report is fine then other causes such as Cystitis,Kidney issues,Diabetes are to be ruled out.

Recurrent UTI definitely needs evaluation.

Kindly follow the suggestions which I have provided previously and get Blood Profile along with Blood Sugar and USG scan done which will help in evaluating and starting further treatment.

Hope this helps!