How is Labrynthitis treated ?

Neurologist, Surgical
I had a cevical spine decompression and cervical spineal fusion surgery 4 months ago. One month after the surgery, with the ok from the surgeon, I returned to pratice swimming 4 times a week as I used to do prior the surgery including flip turns. 15 days ago I started to feel strong dizzines during swim practice. 5 days ago I felt the same strong dizzines during swim practices. Today I went to the hospital who diagnosed me with labirynthitis. Is it possible that this labirynthits is related to the surgery I had 4 months ago?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 14 hours later

I have gone through your history & symptoms in detail.

Seeing your history, I would advice you not to do swimming at least for next six months as Acute Labyrinthitis is an inflammation of the inner ear producing dizziness.

Acute Labyrinthitis is a condition totally unrelated to surgery. It can occur to anyone.
Treatment is bed rest, betahistine & cinnarizine as per your doctors advice.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Dr Praveen K Nath, XXXXXXX Consultant Neurosurgeon.
Follow-up: How is Labrynthitis treated ? 55 minutes later

Wow, six months without swimming is too much time... :-(

I went through my description and I didn't described it clearly. The doctor at the hospital diagnosed me with Labyrinth Syndrome, but didn't mention labyrinthitis.

Are there any exams that I can go through in order to confirm if it's a labyrinth issue I have?

Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 38 hours later

Thanks for getting back to me.

I would say there is no much difference in Labyrinthitis and Labyrinth Syndrome.Since this is the first time you got it I would consider Labrynthitis being the expected diagnosis.A chronic presentation ( dizziness for long time, say years ) could be one where Labyrinth syndrome or Ménière's syndrome could be considered.
There are tests to diagnose the same like:

1) CT scan or MRI scan,
2) Audiology or audiometry testing,
3)Caloric stimulation tests,

The above tests will help in confirming the diagnosis and also guide on how to manage the condition.

Hope I answered your query completely.

Wish you good health.