How effective is Temodal chemotherapy for adenoid cystic carcinoma?

ENT Specialist
Dear doctor,
My wife suffers of adenoid cystic carcinoma with metastases on lungs and liver (tumor on liver grows relatively fast ~0.5 cm per month).
I am interested to know ability to treat by temodal and about the efficiency of this treatment.
Thank you,
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 56 minutes later

Thanks for the query,

I have gone through the history, Adenoid cystic carcinoma is a malignant tumor, that metastasizes.

Let me tell you about the TEMODAL chemotherapy.

#Temodal capsule contains temozolomide.

#TEMODAL Capsules are indicated in treatment of patients with reccurent malignant glioma, such as glioblastoma multiforme or anaplastic astrocytoma, or any fast growing malignant tumor.

#Therapy can be continued until disease progression stops.

#Temodal should be administered in the fasting state. Antiemetic therapy may be administered prior to or following administration of Temodal.

If vomiting occurs after the dose is administered a second dose should not be administered that day.

#Use of TEMODAL in combination with other alkylating agents may increase the likelihood of myelosuppression.

#Clinical data suggests it prolongs the progression-free period and overall survival.

#Temozolomide prevents the growth of cancer cells by interfering with the genetic material (DNA) that is necessary for reproduction of cells. Because cancer cells reproduce more quickly than normal cells, they are targeted by the medication.

So, I personally suggest this drug in your case for adenocarcinoma with metastasis, this drug with combination of other adjuvant like Irinotecan increases the survival rate definitely and it is clinically proved.

Hope this will help you.

And I am ready for the future follow ups.