How does one lower cholesterol levels ?

Question
I tried a low fat, no cholesterol diet and my tests for lipds showed that my cholesterol leval XXXXXXX higher from 266 to 400 and my triglyscerides from 300 to 366. Why would this be??
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Cholesterol

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 2 hours later

It is not only the diet but other causes like genetic factors, lifestyle, age and gender and obesity which are responsible for high cholesterol. It looks like the low fat, no cholesterol diet is not helping in lowering or keeping the cholesterol levels in check and something else needs to be incorporated in combination.

There is a possibility that you may be allergic to synthetic statins like atorvastatin and rosuvastatin but you can try low dose of simvastatin in the beginning which is a natural statin containing plant sterols and gradually the dose can be increased. Without statin therapy the possibility of cholesterol coming down to normal is minimal. The use of drugs or supplements containing specified amounts of phytosterol esters or phytostanol esters as cholesterol lowering has been approved by FDA and you can try the natural statins.

You should continue the lifestyle modification measures like weight management and physical activity. In addition to the low fat low cholesterol diet, you should add more soluble fibre in your diet. Good sources of soluble fiber include oats, certain fruits (such as oranges and pears) and vegetables (such as brussels sprouts and carrots), and dried peas and beans.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: How does one lower cholesterol levels ? 14 hours later
Thank You I will try your suggestions. I also would like to know if following a low fat diet is helpful to keep from more buildup in arteries? THanks, June

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 11 hours later

Thanks for writing back. Yes definitely it is important to follow a low fat, low cholesterol diet to prevent any further build up of atherosclerotic plaques in the vessels.

For lowering the cholesterol levels, you need a low-saturated fat, low-cholesterol diet. This includes avoiding diet XXXXXXX in fats and saturated fatty acids like XXXXXXX fried snacks and sweets, cream, butter, ghee, mayonnaise, shrimps, liver, sausages, hamburgers, red meats, full cream milk, condensed milk, all full fat cheeses, fast foods, coconut oil and palm oil. You should use safflower, corn, soybean, cottonseed, sesame, sunflower oils or olive or canola oil for cooking foods. Eat more of fruits and vegetables and you can take skinned chicken, free milk and yogurt and low fat cheese.

Regards.

Follow-up: How does one lower cholesterol levels ? 10 hours later
Good day to you Doctor, I have a question in the same line. Is eating fish allright are are there certain fish and how about white meat XXXXXXX You have been really helpful and I will try all suggestions, Thank you, June XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 14 hours later

Thanks for writing back. Yes definitely you can eat fish and it is recommended to eat at least two servings of fish a week. You can eat smoked salmon, tuna and cod. However bake or grill the fish to avoid adding unhealthy fats.You can take white meat XXXXXXX 3 ounces contains around 66 mg cholesterol which is far less than other red meats.

Regards.