How can stomach ulcer be treated ?

I am XXXXXXX - 30 years old from BANGALORE , INDIA. 2 weeks back i was diagnoused for symptoms of ulcer and had undergone endoscopy which revealed that i
had D1 and D2 erosions & antral gastritis. Though after taking the prescribed medicines and following a strict diet without spices and oily food my
pain came down, within last 2 days it has increased. I feel like muscle spasms in my throat, difficuilty in swallowing and pain in my upper abdomen
and the pain remains for a period of 2-3 hours. Sometimes i wake up early morning due to pain in stomach and feeling like something has blown up my
stomach and also have headaches along with the stomach pain. I didnt take any different food in the last 2 days. I really need to know how long will it
take to get the ulcers healed, what causes it and what diet pattern should i follow? Will the ulcers reoccur again later if i dont follow a less spicy,
less oily diet. Is the time at which i have to take food very important? Also my doctor had asked me to continue the medicines for another 1
week, but since past 2 weeks, the medicines dont seem to have done any good. Please help me out.. XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Peptic Ulcer
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 37 minutes later

You have a condition called Peptic Ulcer Disease. The endoscopy findings are suggestive of Duodenal (D1 & D2) erosions and antral gastritis.

Its known that more than 95 % of Duodenal Erosions are due to Infection of H. pylori. Its a bacteria which is normally found in the stomach of majority of human beings. However, it causes erosions and ulcers in 15 - 20 % of them. Such lesions do not heal only with acid suppressing agents and need a specific treatment called Triple Therapy.

The diagnosis requires a Upper GI Endoscopy and Biopsy to test for the presence of bacterium.

Although it a common belief that spicy food increases gastritis, its not conclusively proven. However, what has been observed that some people are excessively sensitive to dietary changes and they need to follow a strict diet such that the symptoms do not recur.

So you need to do two things
1. Take Triple Therapy - Consult your doctor for the same. An endoscopy must be repeated and tested for H pylori before starting the therapy.
2. You must cut down on spices, soft drinks, alcohol and smoking (If you take). You must eat on time.

Usually erosions may take anywhere between 3 - 6 weeks to completely heal.

Hope this answers your query. Please get back if you need any further information.

Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran