Ask a Urologist   »  

How can recurrent urinary tract infections with history of prostatectomy be treated ?

My father (63-year-old) has been suffering from frequent UTIs lately. He also had undergone prostatectomy 6 months back. His recent studies show irregualr bladder with wall thickening and increased bladder residual volume averaging 200 ml. There is also reduced uroflow. Doctor feels that the frequent infection (e.coli) is due to residual volume being high and they are suggesting a catheter. Please advise the best course of treatment
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 1 hour later

As your father has undergone prostatectomy, frequency should not be a problem. However, residual urine in the bladder can cause urine culture. It will show the organism causing the infection and the antibiotic to which that organism is sensitive.

A long course of antibiotics will be needed to treat the infection. For time being, he will need a catheter to remove residual urine.

Hope I answered your question. I will be available for your follow ups.
Follow-up: How can recurrent urinary tract infections with history of prostatectomy be treated ? 21 hours later

Thanks for your advice.

For how long does he need to be on catheter (tentatively). His urine culture shows that he is resistant to most of the antibiotics as he has been under various antibiotics for long. He is very concerned at the moment that he might have to be under catheter forever.

Also what could be the probable reasons for irregular and thickened bladder wall.

Answered by Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani 12 hours later

Your father needs to be catheterized.How long he will have catheter is at present very difficult to say.He has to be observed and investigated when on catheter and only after that one can decide how long he will require catheter.

Ultra sound is to be carried out to rule out complications and remnants of prostate , condition of tone of sphincter and bladder , based on the findings the duration of cathetrization can be determined.

The irregularity in the wall and its difference in the thickness is due to previously enlarged prostate.

I think this will satisfy your query.

With regards.