How can i get cured for non itchy rash on shoulders,chest and back ?

I have a rash on my shoulders, chest and back that start as small red bumps then turn dark and leave scars/dark spots, and they are not itchy. I also have not had my period for over 2 months now and am experiencing upper neck and back pain. In the past I was prescribed progesterone pills to start my period, but do you think the other symptoms are a result of a hormonal imbalance? My periods have been extrmely irregular for the past few years and this is the second time I have missed it. I have a doc appt 6/9/11 but the stress and anxiety over what it can possible be scares me. Also I have been very fatigued lately.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 36 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. The small bumps that you are getting on the shoulders, chest and back and which leave dark spots after healing can be due to irritated hair follicles causing folliculitis or due to acne vulgaris. Acne vulgaris is directly related to hormonal changes in the body and if you are missing your periods since 2 months and having irregular periods prior to this, then definitely there may be a relation between the two as both irregular periods and these red bumps which may be due to acne vulgaris can be due to hormonal imbalance.

Upper neck and back pain however does not seem to be related to the hormonal imbalance and can be due to cervical spondolysis or prolonged sitting in a stooped posture like when working on a computers for long hours. You need to get a x-ray or MRI upper spine to rule out these conditions.

You have not mentioned anything about your sexual history but if you have a history of any unprotected intercourse then pregnancy can be causing the missed periods and feeling of fatigue and tiredness. You can confirm pregnancy by pregnancy test kit with morning urine or with blood serum pregnancy test. These tests detect HCG hormone in body which appears only when a woman is pregnant.

If pregnancy is completely rule out then other causes like hormonal imbalance and thyroid causes need to be ruled out. These may cause acne, irregular periods as well as a feeling of fatigue. You should consult a gynecologist and get examined and investigated by getting your hormone levels like progesterone levels, LH, FSH, prolactin and thyroid hormones especially TSH done. You may also need an ultrasound lower abdomen to rule out any uterine or ovarian causes of irregular periods.

Till the time, you consult a doctor, keep the back and chest area clean and apply some topical antiseptics. Also wear loose-fitting cotton clothing and use an antibacterial soap. Avoid any kind of cosmetics especially greasy cosmetic creams and use topical antibiotic creams after consulting your doctor.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: How can i get cured for non itchy rash on shoulders,chest and back ? 1 hour later
Thank you very much for your response!

I have taken 2 EPT pregnancy tests over the past week in which both were negative. I've also been trying to conceive for the past 2 years with no success. But I guess that's all connected with my irregular/missed periods.

Also, I did not understand your repsonse as far as what can be causing the fatigue. Is fatigue NOT a sign of a hormonal imbalance or thyroid issue? Truthfully, I've always suffered from mild fatigue (or laziness), but over the past 2 months it seems to have gotten worst. I also suffer from GAD and stress so maybe this is the cause?
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 42 minutes later

Thanks for writing back to me. Pregnancy is just one of the possibilities for your missed periods and confirmation can be done by a serum pregnancy test which is more specific that a urine for pregnancy test. Pregnancy test depends upon the particular level of hCG in the blood. So sometime it may be possible that it can give you false negative results during early days of pregnancy only because of insufficient level of hCG to make test positive. So it is important to get serum HCG test done.

Secondly fatigue can definitely be a sign of pregnancy (early pregnancy), hormonal imbalance or even thyroid issue like hypothyroidism. Other possibilities are anemia due to iron deficiency and psychological causes like stress and anxiety. To pinpoint a diagnosis you need to get your thyroid hormones especially TSH, hemoglobin levels and hormonal assay done after consulting a physician as well as gynecologist (for hormonal disturbances). You may also need antianxiety drugs for your GAD as this may help with fatigue. Once the cause is identified, treatment of the cause will help in treatment of fatigue.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I am available for more follow ups.