How can erectile dysfunction after exercise be treated?

It seems like every time I do sit ups, soon after I'm not able to commit to any form of sexual activity. I won't stay erect. Can sit ups cause erectile dysfunction? If so, can this form of ED be treated?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Erectile Dysfunction
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 1 hour later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

Erectile function is controlled by vascular, hormonal and neurological factors.

Penis is supplied from the spinal nerves arising from the spinal cord located in the vertebral column. In the presence of vertebral column pathology, doing sit-ups can lead to great pressure on the spinal nerves that may include nerve which supplies the penis. This compression can thus lead to erectile dysfunction. The compression though transient may be causing erectile dysfunction.

Since you do not report back issues, the above description is a hypothesis alone. A spine examination and CT / MRI scan of the vertebral column would be needed to rule the mentioned hyothesis.

Apart from this, physical exhaustion, anxiety, stress and other somatic factors may also be contributing to your symptoms. Since these factors are proved by studies as important factors controlling erection too, as a physician I cannot rule them out.

As far as treating this problem is concerned, though medical drugs and the aforementioned test may sound necessary I suggest you to avoid sit-ups. This seems to be a logical conclusion.

Hope I have solved your query. Waiting to clear your doubts if any.