How can I lower my SGOT and SGPT levels?

my SGOT is 53 and my SGPT is 74. Is this a problem and what can I do to lower it?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
This is a common query by most people who have taken a liver function test.
I would like to clarify at the outset itself that when a liver function test is interpreted there two things to consider: Symptoms and Level of liver enzymes.
If the patient has no symptoms and the levels are not more than three times the baseline values then it is considered normal. Such mild rise in enzymes can happen due to fat deposition in the liver or alcohol intake.
So presuming you do not have symptoms like fever, bloating, pain in the right lower chest, yellowish discoloration of skin and eyes, I do not find the values of liver enzymes concerning.
My suggestion,
1. Check your weight and height and work towards achieving a healthy BMI.
2. Try to avoid stress, long nights, smoking.
3. Say no to spicy and oily food.
4. Exercise as a routine and eat a balanced diet and regularly.
5. Drink plenty of water.
6. Get you bloods checked annually especially your lipid profile, liver and kidney functions.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.