How are spasm attacks and coughing controlled in children ?

Hi, My daughter (2yr 10months old, wt. 13kg) has severe cough. After an x-ray today, doctor has given Budecort and Duolin in nebulizer. She hasn't improved in last 12 hours (we have done 2 nebulization rounds, one with both budecort and duolin, and one with duolin alone). In fact she is coughing continuously right now. What should we do? Should we increase the frequency of budecort nebulization?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 23 hours later

Thank you for seeking help through this site. It appears that your doctor has felt the need to open up her air passages as she may be having an attack of spasm of the same, a condition not far different from the breathing difficulty you see asthma patients having from time to time. If this diagnosis is correct, he has chosen the right medicines for the kid. However, if the attack is particularly severe, she may need even more frequent duolin nebulisation (and not budecort).

There is the possibility that she needs an antibiotic; if nothing has been used, you should speak to the doctor about the same.

The last possibility, although unlikely, is that she does not have a spasm of the airways, and there is something else the matter. Check with your family if she had an episode of choking following sudden and accidental inhalation of a food particle or a small toy part or a peanut, and also see if the doctor overlooked an obvious tonsil enlargement and infection ... I think there are many possibilities, and my humble request is to see the doctor again, or seek a second opinion.