How are gout attacks treated ?

I am having frequent recurrence of elbow joint pain in left or sometime right leg. The pain is acute and unbearable and lasts for three days during which time I am required to take complete rest with ice pack ibuprofen or corticosteroid for a week initially and only if is unbearable now and a gel from Himalayas for muscle and joint pain.I am 59 years old and 172 cm tall and weigh 72 Kgs. I do have higher BP and control it with Olmat-H 20. I lead a active life and do an evening walk for alteast 3.0Kms everyday apart from yoga. Is there a permanent remedy for this. I have bunion a birth defect in both my toes and had a acute pain of gout once before three years.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 34 minutes later
Hello Mr. XXXXXXX and thanks for the query.

I understand your concern.

It seems from the history that you have had attacks of gout. In that case have you recently been checked for your uric acid levels ?

In addition, at your age, the chances of osteoporosis and Degenerative joint disease is higher. This can cause more joint damage resulting in worsening or persistance of pain. These conditions can cause inflammation of the nearby tendons and soft tissues which can cause difficulty in movement and constant pain.

You might benefit by getting a few tests done, which might help in management of your condition.

1. Complete blood count and Hemogram.

2. Liver function tests.

3. Kidney function tests.

4. Urinalysis.

5. Uric acid, Phosphate levels.

6. A Xray or a MRI of the Elbow joints (Both sides).

7. A bone density scan - To estimate the level of osteoporosis (if any).

Once these tests have been done, the specific cause of your problem can be identified and treatment can be initiated.

In case the tests results in diagnosis of Osteoarthritis and extensive joint damage is seen, Joint debridement to clear any debris or any related procedure can be done.

You might consult a orthopedic surgeon for ordering the above tests and initiation of the treatment.

Some alternative means including Yoga, physiotherapy exercises might help you improve the mobility of the joint and also help tolerate the pain better.

I hope this helps.

In case any more doubts, I am available for the follow ups.

Dr Anvekar.