History of recurrent cancer, ileostomy and reverse ileostomy. Having continual diarrhea. Any suggestions?

I have had pelvic radiation after a cancer tumor removal in 2002, I had recurrent cancer and surgery in 2010. I had an ileostomy, a reverse ileostomy, part of the sigmoid colon removed, part of the rectum removed. Since all this I have continual diarrhea. It has gotten worse in the last year. I can barely leave the house. I have taken opium, Imodium, Questen and a few other things. Nothing seems to mitigate it. i no longer have a solid bowel movement, it is always watery and now it is burning and yellow, very painful. Would you have any suggestion who to see or what to do? I have seen a gastroenterologist who was a complete waste of my time. He told me to eat strong colored veggies and stay away from onions, garlic, etc. please help.
Posted Sun, 17 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please follow the suggestions below...

Detailed Answer:

I have read your concerns carefully, and I am sorry for the situation you are in.

Let me tell you first that burning, yellow and painful bowel movement is due to persistent diarrhea. You have done all the necessary to overcome it. Now, while waiting for improvement, you can take oral dehydration salts to avoid dehydration.

Next, please bare in mind that diarrhea is partially explained by the colon you have removed (because colon is the place where water is mostly absorbed).

I would recommend to continue your follow-up with the gastroenterologist. If you do not like the one you had, you can change doctor, it is your right. But, do not stop seeing the gastroenterologist (GE), you can have the second opinion by a surgeon if GE would judge.

Diet changes are also very important to sustain your health. If you cannot follow them on your own, please ask for help (family, relatives, friends, institutions). Get helped!

At last, we can do what it's up to us; the rest is up to the Almighty!

All the best!

p.s. Do not hesitate to write back to me if you have other concern.