History of knee injury. Have knee pain in cold weather. Need for arthroscopic surgery?

I fell on my knees about 25 years ago-on pavement. I have had some knee pain when
the weather gets cold. I have no trouble walking. But, I do wonder if I will need arthroscopic surgery someday to clean up the injuries I made to my knees so many years ago. When will I need to make an appt with an orthopedic surgeon to check my knees?
Posted Sat, 24 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 5 hours later
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about what happened to you some 25year ago.

The fact that you fell and hurt your knee does not necessarily mean you would one day need arthroscopic surgery to clean up the injuries. Some heal fully and never ever need any further management. We only consider surgical management when drugs are unable to allow an acceptable level of functioning of the joint or you have severe pains. From the information you have provided, nothing suggests this and you should not be concerned about anything like that at this moment. When you get pains, try some pain medications and if they should not provide adequate relief or the joint becomes dysfunctional, then you would need to be evaluated by an orthopedic surgeon.

Stay relaxed and maybe you will never need this procedure unless things become bad. You don't also need to make any appointment and see an orthopedic surgen about this now.

I hope you find the above information helpful. If you have any further questions related to this query, please feel free to ask me and I will gladly address them.
I wish you well.
Dr. Ditah, MD