History of heart surgery. Burning sensation in groin area. No lump or redness. What's wrong?

General Surgeon
A burning sensation that comes and goes frequently on the right side in the groin area (male), that feels like it could be an artery. There is nothing to see, no lump, no redness, nothing. The doctor says he doesn't know. the pain is that bad that it is stopping me from playing golf and basically everything. I am sitting and it constantly just comes and goes. Do you have any answers of what this could be?

I had major heart surgery six years ago and the major vein in my right leg was removed to restore my arteries. I am 77 years old.
Posted Fri, 22 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later

Thank you for the query.

Such symptoms can appear due to inguinal hernia (even if no lump is present), enlarged lymph nodes, varicose veins, sciatica (due to sciatic nerve compression), spine disc herniation. hand in the groin area while standing and try to cough. If the hernia is present, some kind of pulsating lump should be present.
As you have had your vein removed for by-pass surgery, it can be a reason of your symptoms. Groin area is the place where saphenous vein flows to femoral vein. Very often if saphenous vein is widen, the blood can flow back to this vein and cause the pain. Moreover, saphenous vein is the one which were removed. And for sure it was removed only partially (the scar is on the calf only).

The best way to have it diagnosed is to perform groin ultrasound, veins doppler ultrasound. If no findings, urine analysis, PSA level should be also checked and you should visit neurologist for physical examination. Spine MRI should be considered.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.