History of celiac dx. Blood test done. Am I suffering from iron deficiency anemia?

Jan 2013

Question about anemia.
H/H 13.6/41
Ferritin 157.6
Iron 57
Sat 22%
TIBC 258
UIBC 201
ALP 38

History of celiac dx(controlled) XXXXXXX (hysterectomy 2 years ago)

Is this IDA? Why isn't my TIBC high if it is?

Many thanks.
Posted Tue, 26 Mar 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 10 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

With the available described investigation report, your iron profile appears to be absolutely normal and you are not suffering from Iron Deficiency Anemia (IDA).

Normal values of iron profile are:
Serum iron: Female 50–170 μg/dL (you have 57).
TIBC: 250–370 μg/dL (you have 258).
Transferrin saturation: Female 15–50% (you have 22)
Serum ferritin: Female 15-150 μg/L (you have 157.6)

UIBC is calculated by subtracting the serum iron from the TIBC.
In your case, UIBC is 258-57= 201 and it is also normal.

MPV is mean platelet volume and Normal range is given as 7.5-11.5 fL.
It is also in normal range in your case.

Celiac disease affects duodenum of gastrointestinal tract and absorption of iron occurs in duodenum.
Normal Iron profile and absence of XXXXXXX suggests well controlled celiac disease.
You should continue the same diet measures for prevention of celiac disease.

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: History of celiac dx. Blood test done. Am I suffering from iron deficiency anemia? 9 hours later
The current labs represent a downward trend. I have regular follow-ups because of the history of XXXXXXX

The serum ferritin values for this lab are different. The normal range is 30.0-400.0 ng/ml. I was told that nearing 100ng/ml is problematic. So much so that I had an infusion of Ferrilcit last week at their insistance.

I read my lab values as normal. I read that my TIBC indicates that I am NOT seeking to move stored iron into use at an accelerated rate. And yet, I am being encouraged to have iv iron. I am concerned this could be very harmful.

I understand their concern about the downward trend. However, I look at that TIBC and it doesn't appear that my body is registering any alarm. I am having some shortness of breath, but there is a question regarding my thyroid function yet to be answered.

My question is, in light of these facts, would an iron infusion be harmful? If I am not seeking to move iron out of storage anyway, what is the point of raising my normal value ferritin?
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 46 minutes later
Your serum Ferritin level is normal (100ng/ ml) and it is is normal reference range.
Serum Ferritin less than normal indicates decreased iron stores and in favor of XXXXXXX
Serum ferritin level above normal with normal iron level indicates anemia of chronic inflammation.

As your celiac disease is in controlled manner, you should take oral iron supplements.
Iron absorption may be hampered if active celiac disease is persisting.

In my personal opinion, there is no need of Intravenous iron infusion.

Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava