History of cataract. Diagnosed with ocular rosecea. Eyes are bloodshot, itchy and dry. Advice

Hi Dr. Grief - I have had cataracts removed twice (they grew back) and since then have suffered eye problems. I have also been diagnosed with ocular rosecea. My eyes are always terribly bloodshot and often itchy and dry. I use eye drops (systane) but nothing seems to help. I want to see a specialist who can help my eyes and me look better!!!
Thank you, XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
After cataract with dry eyes

Detailed Answer:

It seems from the history that you have two problems related to the eye.
Coming to the first problem

It seems from the history that you have undergone surgery for cataract following which there was recurrence which means opacification of the remnants of the lens called as after cataract. The condition is quite common but only in few it may become significant enough to cause diminution of vision.
The treatment of the condition is by a simple office procedure called as Yag capsulotomy and once you undergo this procedure there is no chance of recurrence.

Coming to the second problem, ocular rosacea. It is a inflammatory disease affecting the skin of face and involving the eye in the form of dry eye.
Currently you are on treatment with systane eye drops, a lubricating artificial tear agent. Use of systane eye drops is the first line of treatment. If that is not helping you, then your doctor can try the following (in the same sequence):
Antiinflammatory eye drops
Topical immunosuppressive eye drops
Punctal plugs

I understand you are concerned and worried. But I don't think your problems are unsolvable. Consult a competent ophthalmologist and discuss with him regarding all the treatment options mentioned above. I am sure with this set of treatment you will develop a healthy vision.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.\