High testosterone level, no specific symptoms, prescribed testosterone. Please advise

Hello, My 29 year old son, who is a regular weight lifter/body builder has been found to have a testosterone level of 125. This was found on a physical exam--he is preparing to leave a job and attend the University of Nebraska to get a PhD in biomechanics. He did not have any specific symptoms--just the realization that he was going from a good health care plan to minimum coverage. Right away the physican who found it wants to prescribe and administer Testosterone. I am a PNP and I advised a more extensive work up--even a second level seems more reasonable than immediate treatment. Please advise...
Posted Tue, 3 Jul 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Abid 38 minutes later
Hi there...
Thanks for writing in.
Regarding your concern, I would agree that it would be better if we look for the cause first than start treatment right away. We would need a physician to take a complete history and order certain tests like serum luteinizing hormone ( serum LH levels) and testosterone binding globulin.
This would be the first step and further tests can be ordered after a complete history and examination.
Hope this helps